Bernie For President Facts From His Campaign
The truth about the campaign to elect Bernie Sanders for President of the United States.
Bernie Sanders Is Running For
President of the United States
This is not an opinion page, a debate forum, nor a BS rumor and fake news outlet. This page shares actual content straight from the Bernie Sanders Campaign Office. For those who like to get their facts directly from the source, the horse’s mouth. If you are already active in campaigning to get Bernie elected President, then you may recognize most of this content already.
Before you go about the rest of your day, help power our fight
against the billionaire class by making a contribution now.
Yes, he’s put his hat in the ring for the multitudes who have urged him to do it.
He will have to join the Democratic Party to gain ballot access in all States, and I hope he joins for good this time. He will continue the authentic campaign style he invented and be free from Wall Street influence. He will adapt his policy approaches that he had for Vermont only and take on national policies with a fresh look.
This may turn out to be
- An issues candidacy, in which case I fully welcome it.
- A Vice Presidential candidacy, which the Dems ought to use. No better life insurance for the new President than Bernie ridin’ shotgun.
- To push for election finance reform through his example showing proof of concept.
- To hold the Dem’s feet to the fire so they don’t get their usual cold feet at approaching national concerns like ending the Civil War on drugs.
- No matter how this ends up, Bernie is doing a tremendous public service by again running for President.
Some say this isn’t such a good idea and that there’s enough confusion around his candidacy already.
How This Could Have Been Avoided
If the Democratic Convention would simply make the 2nd place candidate Vice Presidential candidate automatically, we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in now as a nation OR a Party. Neither Hillary nor Bernie could be trusted to pick a winning running mate -the delegates should have decided democratically.
The Bernie 2020 Campaign Truth Blog
Here’s How the Bernie For President Campaign Began
I have decided to run for president of the United States. I am asking you to join me today as part of an unprecedented and historic grassroots campaign that will begin with at least a million people from across the country.
Our campaign is not only about defeating Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history. It is not only about winning the Democratic nomination and the general election. Our campaign is about transforming our country and creating a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial and environmental justice. Its about taking on the powerful special interests that dominate our economic and political life. I’m talking about Wall Street, the health insurance companies, the drug companies, the fossil fuel industry, the military industrial complex, the private prison industry and the large multinational corporations that exert such an enormous influence over our lives.
It’s about redoubling our efforts to end racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry and all forms of discrimination. Our campaign is about creating a vibrant democracy with the highest voter turnout of any major country while we end voter suppression, Citizens United and outrageous levels of gerrymandering. A campaign about creating a government and economy that work for the many, not just the few. We are the wealthiest nation in the history of the world. We should not have grotesque levels of wealth inequality in which three billionaires own more wealth than the bottom half of the country.
- We should not have 30 million Americans without any health insurance, even more who are under-insured and a nation in which life expectancy is actually in decline.
- We should not have an economy in which tens of millions of workers earn starvation wages and half of older workers have no savings as they face retirement.
- We should not have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major country on Earth and a dysfunctional childcare system which is unfair to both working parents and their children.
- We should not have a regressive tax system in which large, profitable corporations like Amazon pay nothing in federal income taxes.
Make no mistake about it. The powerful special interests in this country have unbelievable power and they want to maintain the status quo. They have unlimited amounts of money to spend on campaigns and lobbying and have huge influence over the media and political parties. The only way we will win this election and create a government and economy that work for all is with a grassroots movement – the likes of which has never been seen in American history. They may have the money and power. We have the people. That is why we need one million Americans who will commit themselves to this campaign.
You know as well as I do that we are living in a pivotal and dangerous moment in American history. We are running against a president who is a pathological liar, a fraud, a racist, a sexist, a xenophobe and someone who is undermining American democracy as he leads us in an authoritarian direction. I’m running for president because, now more than ever, we need leadership that brings us together – not divides us up. Women and men, black, white, Latino, Native American, Asian American, gay and straight, young and old, native born and immigrant. Now is the time for us to stand together.
- I’m running for president because we need leadership that will fight for working families and the shrinking middle class, not just the 1 percent. We need a president who understands that we can create millions of good-paying jobs, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and construct the affordable housing we desperately need.
- I’m running for president because we need trade policies that reflect the interests of workers and not multi-national corporations. We need to raise the minimum wage to a living wage, provide pay equity for women and guarantee all workers paid family and medical leave.
- I’m running for president because we need to understand that artificial intelligence and robotics must benefit the needs of workers, not just corporate America and those who own that technology.
- I’m running for president because a great nation is judged not by how many billionaires and nuclear weapons it has, but by how it treats the most vulnerable – the elderly, the children, our veterans, the sick and the poor.
- I’m running for president because we need to make policy decisions based on science, not politics. We need a president who understands that climate change is real, is an existential threat to our country and the entire planet, and that we can generate massive job creation by transforming our energy system away from fossil fuels to energy efficiency and sustainable energy.
- I’m running for president because the time is long overdue for the United States to join every other major country on Earth and guarantee health care to all people as a right, not a privilege, through a Medicare-for-all program.
- I’m running for president because we need to take on the outrageous level of greed of the pharmaceutical industry and lower prescription drug prices in this country.
- I’m running for president because we need to have the best educated workforce in the world. It is totally counterproductive for our future that millions of Americans are carrying outrageous levels of student debt, while many others cannot afford the high cost of higher education. That is why we need to make public colleges and universities tuition free and lower student debt.
- I’m running for president because we must defend a woman’s right to control her own body against massive political attacks taking place at the local, state and federal level.
- I’m running for president because we need real criminal justice reform. We need to invest in jobs and education for our kids, not more jails and incarceration. We need to end the destructive “war on drugs,” eliminate private prisons and cash bail and bring about major police department reform.
- I’m running for president because we need to end the demonization of undocumented immigrants in this country and move to comprehensive immigration reform. We need to provide immediate legal status for the young people eligible for the DACA program and develop a humane policy for those at the border who seek asylum.
- I’m running for president because we must end the epidemic of gun violence in this country. We need to take on the NRA, expand background checks, end the gun show loophole and ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons.
- I’m running for president because we need a foreign policy which focuses on democracy, human rights, diplomacy and world peace. The United States must lead the world in improving international cooperation in the fight against climate change, militarism, authoritarianism and global wealth inequality.
Three years ago, during our 2016 campaign, when we brought forth our progressive agenda we were told that our ideas were “radical” and “extreme.” We were told that Medicare for All, a $15 an hour minimum wage, free tuition at public colleges and universities, aggressively combating climate change, demanding that the wealthy start paying their fair share of taxes, were all concepts that the American people would never accept. Well, three years have come and gone. And, as result of millions of Americans standing up and fighting back, all of these policies and more are now supported by a majority of Americans. Together, you and I and our 2016 campaign began the political revolution.
Now is the time to complete that revolution and implement the vision that we fought for.
So here is my question for you:
Will you stand with me as part of a million person grassroots movement which can not only win the Democratic primary, not only win the general election, but most importantly help transform this country so that, finally, we have a government that works for all of us and not just the few? Add your name to say you will.
Together we can create a nation that leads the world in the struggle for peace and for economic, racial, social and environmental justice. Together we can defeat Donald Trump and repair the damage he has done to our country.
Brothers and sisters, if we stand together, there is no limit to what we can accomplish.
I hope you will join me.
Thank you very much. In solidarity,
Here is the truth: no candidate, not even the best candidate you could possibly imagine, is capable of taking on Donald Trump, the political establishment, and the billionaire class of this country alone.
There is only one way to do that. There is only one way we’re going to create a government that will truly work for all of us and not just the one percent of this country.
And that is all of us … together.
Not me. Us.
So today, while the entire political establishment, financial elite, and corporate media watches to see the strength of our movement on day one, I have to ask:
Can I count on you to make a $3 donation to our campaign before midnight tonight? I cannot do this alone, it is only possible if we’re in it together.-(expired link)
What we faced in 2016 and since is nothing compared to what those who want to stop our agenda will throw at us in 2019 and 2020. I am thankful to know that we’re in this fight together. That’s the only way.